Photo from the summit of Cotopaxi, the second highest active volcano in the world!
I fundraised $12,000 for a 4 month long, highschool semester in Ecuador with an organization called Kroka!

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Spanish!!

Hola!

I am really pleased with how Spanish is going.  As I mentioned earlier, I am doing two different programs (Rosetta Stone and Primsleur) and taking an adult ed. Spanish class in order to be as "fluent" as possible before going to Ecuador.  I will get so much more out of the experience if I can talk to and understand my host families and converse with all the amazing people we will likely meet on our journey.

It is amazing how well each Spanish program fits with the others.

Each program has a total different style of teaching and none of them overlap too much with the vocabulary.  Rosetta Stone is like the foundation, Primsleur is a good backup and is really nice to listen to when ever I'm doing something that doesn't require much thought.  The Spanish class covers a lot of helpful things like verb endings and the difference between familiar and formal. (We spent a fair amount of time discussing the difference between the formal "usted" [you] and familiar "tu" [also 'you'].)  The teacher is really great.  He almost seems a little serious when you first meet him (especially if your late) but he has a great sense of humor that keeps the group attentive and engaged.  The class is at the perfect level for me because I know enough to not be left behind but I have to pay close attention and have to push myself a little to keep up.  Hila and I are are also the only kids.

Buenas noches,
Matea (my new name I chose for Spanish class!)

No comments:

Post a Comment